Over 25% of all women suffer from unattractive spider veins. Discover natural treatments dermatologists recommend to get rid of spider veins and achieve more beautiful, youthful and radiant skin.
Turn back the clock on spider veins and recover the youthful appearance your legs once had! This article details how to get rid of spider veins naturally.
My dermatologist recently gave me a list of natural home remedies to help get rid of the spider veins I have on my legs. Spider veins are a common and unattractive problem in which enlarged and twisted veins occur close to the surface of your skin. They appear as small blueish, reddish and purple blood vessels that are easily visible through the skin, often shaped like a tree branch or spider web (hence the name).
What Causes Spider Veins?
25% of all women are affected by spider veins and often feel embarrassed to wear shorter clothing which can expose them. Occurring mostly on the thighs and calves, spider veins develop due to poor blood flow, weakened vein walls or poorly functioning valves. Less often they can occur in more sensitive areas such as the face and neck. Although rarely dangerous a feeling of burning, throbbing and itching can be associated with spider veins which can be quite uncomfortable.
There are a number of causes which include:
- Occupations that require a lot of standing
- Gender (25% women, 10% men)
- Birth control pills
Natural Remedies To Treat Spider Veins
One of the biggest things you can do to help with spider veins is to eat more healthy and get regular exercise as these will increase blood flow and circulation. However, there are a number of natural remedies that work great alongside a healthy lifestyle.
Essential Oils For Spider Veins
Certain essential oils and blends work magic for spider veins. My dermatologist told me the best oils are cypress, lemongrass, geranium, rosemary, lemon, and helichrysum oils. Here’s a little information about them:
Cypress Oil – Regarded as the best oil for spider veins it is known to soothe skin and improve blood circulation by strengthening veins. Other qualities include being an antiseptic, increasing lymphatic drainage and a reduction in swelling and pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
Lemongrass Oil – Another great oil for spider veins as it dilates blood vessels which greatly improves blood flow and circulation.
Geranium Oil – If you suffer from spider veins in areas other than your legs and calves such as your face, this is the go to essential oil. It is used in beauty to promote flawless and radiant skin by increasing blood circulation and because of this helps immensely with spider veins in more sensitive areas.
Rosemary Oil – Works for both muscle relaxation and pain relief, it helps to strengthen vein walls which is one of the primary causes of spider veins.
Lemon Oil – Another miracle essential oil often used by those who suffer from ailments such as psoriasis, eczema, acne and edema. Qualities include increased lymphatic drainage and use as an anti-inflammatory to reduce pain. Another go-to for spider veins.
Helichrysum Oil – This oil is routinely recommended for those who suffer from varicose veins as it has the ability to dissolve coagulated blood inside and even outside of swollen veins. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which helps to soothe swelling and pain.
How to use Essential Oils as a Treatment
Hot/Cold Compression – Simply submerge a clean cloth or napkin in hot or cold water and squeeze the excess water off. Add 2-4 drops of your desired oil and place over the vein with slight pressure for a few minutes.
Bath-time Oils – What better way to treat your spider veins than in a relaxing bath? Simply add 4 or 5 drops of your desired oil or oils to the bath water and let them work their magic!
Massage Oils – You can use essential oils when diluted with a carrier oil such as Jojoba or Olive Oil and apply it topically to spider veins. Massage gently in a circular motion for several minutes.
Essential Oil Blends for Spider Veins
The best way to use essential oils for spider veins is to use a blend of oils so that you access all the benefits that each has to offer. The recipe my dermatologist recommended is:
- 5 drops of Cypress Oil
- 5 drops of Geranium Oil
- 3 drops of Lemongrass Oil
- 3 drops of Lemon Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Carrier Oil (Jojoba or Olive Oil will work fine)
Mix these oils in a dark glass bottle and massage for several minutes in a circular motion twice a day.
Other Natural Remedies
Apple Cider Vinegar
Known for improving blood flow and circulation, apple cider vinegar is great in the treatment of spider veins. It naturally promotes your body to cleanse itself of toxins and works well to reduce the swelling, bulging and pain of spider veins by increasing blood flow to the areas it is applied.
- Twice a day (morning and night) massage undiluted apple cider vinegar gently in a circular motion for a few minutes into each of the swollen veins.
- At the same time that you do this (helped me not forget!) prepare a glass of water with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and make sure your mix it well. You can also add it to your favorite beverages which you may find more pleasant to drink. Drink this mixture twice each day as well.
- As you stick to this routine you’ll notice a reduction in the swelling and heavy feeling of the spider veins. I was recommended to follow it for at least a month.
Olive Oil & Vitamin E Oil
Increasing blood circulation is one of the most important aspects when treating varicose veins. Gently massaging with olive oil is a great way to do this and will help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Mix equal parts of Vitamin E oil and Olive Oil, warm the mixture slightly and then massage the veins gently with the mixture for a few minutes.
- Do this every morning and evening before bed for 1-2 months, you will notice the veins become less prominent, swollen and painful over time.
My dermatologist told me that cayenne pepper has been considered by many as a miracle treatment for spider veins and it’s so easy to take! Rich in vitamin C and bioflavonoids which inhibit the breakdown of vitamin C in your body, crucial in making sure your body gets the maximum benefits. Cayenne pepper eases the pain associated with swollen and congested veins by increasing blood flow and circulation.
- Mix one teaspoon of cayenne pepper into a glass of hot water, easy!
- Try to drink this 2-3 times a day for 1-2 months for the best results.
Used for centuries for its medicinal properties, garlic is an amazing herb for reducing inflammation and the itching and burning sensations often associated with spider veins. It also improves circulation and promotes blood your body to cleanse itself of toxins, especially in the blood vessels of swollen veins.
- Take a clean glass jar with a lid and add 6 sliced garlic cloves.
- Add the juice of 3 oranges to the jar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the mixture.
- Let it sit overnight, and then shake the mixture well.
- Gently massage the mixture in a circular motion to each of the spider veins for 15 minutes, then wrap with a bandage and leave it on overnight (this will help stop getting the smell on your clothes and bedding).
- Try to do this each day for 1-2 months for the best results.
This ‘Carb-Combining’ Hack That Can Burn Up To 1 Pound Per Day
I’m guessing you’re like most women who are struggling with weight loss… you’re dieting, counting calories religiously and spending hours at the gym, and still… nothing.
That’s exactly how an overweight 42-year-old mother, Sarah, was feeling…
She never lost a single inch even though she did everything you’re supposed to do.
She had almost given up when she stumbled across a strange ‘carb-combining’ hack that melted away a crazy 22 pounds in just 13-days!
This one small change in her eating habits helped her shed pounds of fat and inches off her body without having to starve herself and with NO EXERCISE!
In her first month, Sarah dropped a total of 37 pounds with this ‘carb-combining’ trick and absolutely shocked her doctor.
So, if you’re a woman over 25 who wants to reclaim your life with the body you DESERVE, you should check this out for yourself.